Monday, September 7, 2009

Skyline Chili


I love Skyline Chili. The only problem is that the closest one to me is some 300 miles away. That's actually probably a good thing or I would go there almost every day and weigh 300 pounds. They're recipe comes from my country of Greece (and no that's not the only reason I like it). The chili has a fantastic flavor. Some markets sell cans of the chili or you can find it in some frozen sections. You can get it directly from the Skyline website too. www.skylinechili.com I've always thought it was cool that they severed it over pasta. I can still remember going in for the first time when I was a 13 or so with my mother - I remember thinking - Pasta, Chili, Cheese what could be wrong with that - NOTHING was the answer. I fell in love after the first bite. There are multiple ways you can order your chili:

The 3-Way - Spaghetti, chili, and shredded cheddar cheese. (My favorite)

The 4-Way - A 3-Way with diced onions or red beans

The 5-Way - A 3-Way with diced onions and red beans

Chili Spaghetti - Spaghetti and chili only

I've met some people who are pretty passionate about the way they order their Skyline chili. I have only had the 3-way - It's so dang good why go anywhere else? It just can't get any better by adding anything to it...

They do have some pretty dang good coneys - mini hot dogs covered with the chili and cheese...

--

Sitting at the counter watching them make the goods...



--

Here is a recipe that will get you pretty close to what they make.

2 lbs ground beef
2 cups chopped onions
4 cups beef stock
2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
2-3 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ounce grated unsweetened chocolate or 2 3/4 Tbsp cocoa
2 tsp instant minced garlic
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground red pepper or cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1 bay leaf or 1/8 tsp bay leaf powder

Directions

Brown ground beef and onion, once cooked drain well. Add the beef stock to beef mixture and simmer 10 minutes. Add remaining 13 ingredients, simmer uncovered 1 hour. Remove bay leaf, skim off extra fat. Serve over hot spaghetti, or hot dogs in buns for chili dogs. Top with plenty of cheese and other optional toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment