Saturday, May 30, 2009

Going Deep With The Pizza...

Deep Dish PizzaPizza comes in all shapes and sizes. I saw heart shaped ones for sale from a local pizza joint for valentines day. I prefer a thin crust pizza but every once and a while I like to make a deep dish pizza. When I make a deep dish pizza I make the dough the same way I do for thin crust.

Pizza Dough:
1 Package yeast
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 Teaspoon sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Cup 100 to 110 degree water
2.5 Cups flour

Add the yeast to the water. Add in the olive oil, sugar, and salt - mix well. Let sit for about 5 min then mix again with a fork. Add the flour and mix until it comes together. Turn out and kneed about 20 times (I don't like to over kneed my pizza dough - it works for me this way you kneed it as long as you like). Put into a bowl and cover. Set in a warm space for an hour. Turn out and shape into your pizza.
Deep Dish Pizza

In this case put it in a high walled round pan. This one is a 9" pan I believe.

Once in the pan add your pizza sauce (I have a video recipe coming soon). I use my own pizza sauce but you can use the stuff in a jar. Top with the cheeses of your choice and put into a 425 degree oven for about 23 minute (that will depend on your oven)

Leave the pizza dough hanging over the edges of the pan for now. Once it's loaded up with goodness we'll cut it down to size.

Deep Dish Pizza
In this pizza I'm only making it with cheese. Cheese pizza is good. 99 times out of a 100 when I'm trying a new pizza joint out I ask for a cheese pizza. The way I see it, if you can't make a simple cheese pizza taste good - what are a bunch of toppings going to do to save it? Anyhow, this one had provolone and mozzarella on it with my homemade sauce.

I'm going to work on a video recipe to add here but for now if you have questions please don't hesitate to leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer your questions.

Bon Appetit...

~Nikko
--

No comments:

Post a Comment