Monday, June 1, 2009

Pizza Sauce - Version 001

So I love pizza - especially making my own pizza. The ultimate would be to make my own dough, sauce, and make my own cheese for it - all the veg grown in my own garden, wheat harvested from my own field, meat butchered from my own animals... Talk about quality control... Ok - enough with the dream and back to the pizza sauce. I make by batches based on using one box of the Pomi strained tomatoes. That's the base for all my pizza sauces. They're the best I can find so that's what I use... Ok sometimes I will use fresh tomatoes...


3 Tbs Olive oil
1-2 Cloves garlic minced
1 Box Pomi strained tomatoes
1 Tsp Crushed red pepper flakes (or to your liking)
1 Tbs Oregano
1 Tsp Basil
Pepper
Salt
1 Tsp Dark brown sugar (it adds an interesting richness to the sauce)

In a heated heavy bottom pan add the olive oil and let it get to temp. Add the garlic and let it permeate the oil - do not let it brown! Add your tomatoes and spices. Mix well and let simmer for 30-60 minutes. Cool the sauce and let stand in refer for at least 12 hours so everyone gets happy happy...

Bon Appetit...

~Nikko

--

No comments:

Post a Comment