Saturday, June 6, 2009

Roasted Leg of Lamb

I'm Greek so loving the flavor of lamb is in my DNA. I'll take lamb just about any way I can get it. Chops, loin, leg, roast - Gimme! When I was a kid my uncle Tony would sit out in the garage with his makeshift BBQ pit (he put down bricks then piled coals ontop of them and hand cranked an old Q he got in Greece... He would sit out there all day with a leg of lamb (or 2 or 3 or 4) drink ouzo, smoke cigars and talk to his buddies or my other uncles. I'll never forget the first time he let me come and hang out with him. It was truly a right of passage in our family. Anyhow - Tina and I do lamb once a month or so and here's a good one we did...

1 Bone in leg of lamb
1 Cup Olive oil
6 cloves garlic minced
3-6 Tbs rosemary
9 Anchovy fillets (no we're not kidding)
Salt
Pepper

Put your leg of lam on a rack in a roasting pan. In a bowl combine the olive oil, rosemary, anchovy, a bit of pepper and mix well. Cut small slits into the lamb and stick in some garlic and spices into each hole. Cover the rest of the lamb with the oil/spice mixture. Let sit for an hour covered or put in the fridge for 5 hours or so. Preheat oven to 400 degrees - cook lamb for about an hour or until medium rare - about 160 degrees F.

There are other things made in this video - beats, beat greens, rice... I'll let you watch the video to see how they're done...

Bon Appetit...

~Nikko

--



As someone who loves animals - Make sure you buy your meat from ranchers/companies who treat their animals well...

No comments:

Post a Comment