Monday, August 10, 2009

Julie & Julia The Movie II

I really don't know anything about Julie Powell. I never read her blog (but would love to read it), I haven't read the book (but I ordered it), so the only thing I know is what's in the movie. I'm not sure why some of the die hard foodie bloggers are bashing her and the movie. Maybe they're pissed that they didn't think of it first? It's a brilliant idea - at least I think so. A friend and I are going to cook our way through the Cooking at Home series Julia Child and Jacques Pepin did - Actually this is something we've wanted to do forever and just haven't gotten around to it - but now it seems like a copycat thing and that kidna sucks... But we're going to soldier on and do it anyway...

Back to the movie - it was fun to see Powell's struggles with making some of the food and doing the blog but my real love of the movie were the parts with Julia Child in them. They were done so well... I have to admit I see her (Julia Child) as somewhat of a mother figure, and it was hard to see her and Paul get intimate onscreen. I had to look away. It was really neat to see her coming into cooking and her trials and tribulations of creating Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I am foodie enough to admit that a tear came to my eye when she finally got the approval letter from Knopf. As a site note a good friend of mine's (Steve The Tortilla Guy) mother has every single release of the book... I had no idea it took so long to create and get published. And look at it now...

So, if you're a foodie you'll enjoy the movie. If you Love Julia Child you'll love the movie as I did...

Bon Appetit...

~Nikko

No comments:

Post a Comment